2020 Young Leaders Build kicked off
Thousands of youth in Asia-Pacific commemorate International Volunteer Day by launching Habitat for Humanity’s Young Leaders Build 2020 campaign.
Rick Hathaway Habitat Asia-Pacific vice president said,”This International Volunteer Day, we want to thank all Habitat for Humanity volunteers, especially the youth of Asia and the Pacific who generously give their time, energy and resources to help build decent homes and inclusive communities – presenting opportunities for better health, education, and livelihood for the millions of families that we serve.”
Starting December 5, various HYLB events are being conducted by various youth groups working with Habitat for Humanity in 17 countries and one special administrative region. This year’s Habitat Young Leaders Build also raises the spotlight on youth participation to address the growing climate and housing crises.
- In India, volunteers will learn more about disaster risk reduction and safe water awareness.
- In Indonesia and the Philippines, activities will highlight initiatives around a Participatory Approach for Safe Shelter and Settlements Awareness. These PASSA-Youth activities will increase youth engagement in community-based disaster risk reduction to increase resilience in disaster-prone and vulnerable communities.
India youth wave with HYLB flag on International Volunteers Day
- In Dhaka, Bangladesh, Eva Akter, 16, and Rupa Akter, 19, of Swapner Alo Kishori Club are training fellow girls and young women about hygiene, menstrual health management, women’s rights, and disaster resilience through an HYLB advocacy project grant that contributes to slum upgrading in their community.
- Habitat Week
We will launch a Habitat Week Campaign in March 2020. During the week, our campus chapters will have various kinds of activities, such as educational workshops, keynote speeches, etc., to raise awareness among their fellow students on the issue of poverty housing.
- April 25th – Culmination Day
On April 25th 2020, the Culmination Day of HYLB, young volunteers in China will join with youth across Asia-Pacific to provide volunteer services to our partner families.
- Stay tuned with Habitat’s WeChat page. We will post activities which we hope you will join.
- Become our Campus Chapter and tailor your own volunteering activities with your creativity and leadership.
- Share your thoughts, solutions, and experiences on the topic of housing solutions with us. We will let more people know the best ones.
About Habitat Young Leaders Build
For the past seven years, the youth campaign has reached over 15.1 million supporters to assist more than 30,000 families to achieve the strength, stability and self-reliance they need to build a better future. As Habitat’s largest youth movement in Asia-Pacific region, Habitat Young Leaders Build serves as an awareness-raising, fundraising and volunteering campaign to bring the issues of housing closer to today’s youth.